Wednesday, June 3, 2015

I know it's been a while, but here is Chapter Three of She waits. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think in the comments.

                              
                         As always, don't forget to stop in at the Mine!!
                               http://diamondsinfiction.blogspot.com/
I'm posting this today, Wednesday June 3rd, but next week it will go back to the regular Tuesday posting. Sorry for being off the web for a while but I moved and they couldn't get my internet hooked up for almost a month.



 

 

 



~ Chapter Three ~


Nina turned over and punched the pillow, irritation swelling within. What had awakened her this time? Last time it was the ticking of the clock. She used to be able to sleep through almost anything, but now, every little noise woke her up.

The buzzing of her silenced cellphone registered in her mind. Oh no, what if it’s Mom again?

Sitting up, she scrunched her shoulders in indecision. She wanted, no needed, to talk to her mom, confide in her. Straightening her shoulders, she sighed and stood up. She couldn’t. She wasn’t ready. Would she ever be?

On the off chance it was her friend Emily, she turned the phone over and squinted at the screen. Suddenly slippery fingers dropped the phone onto the table with a thwack. It was max!

Trembling erupted from deep within and she was powerless to stop it. What did he want? Why was he calling? Now, after all this time.

Taking a deep breath to calm her breathing, she punched the green telephone on the screen to answer the call.

“He—hello?”

“Nina?”

His voice traveled from her toes up her spine and into her brain, the liquid honey making her knees go weak. “Yes?”

A deep sigh. “Are you okay? You sound kind of funny.”

Anger replaced the ecstatic trembling inside her. Who did he think he was anyway? Was he an idiot? He hadn’t called in six months. But you pretty much told him not to, silly.

Nina grumbled at her own thoughts. “I—I’m fine. I just didn’t expect a call from you, that’s all.” The defensiveness in her tone caused waves of self-loathing to roll over already sensitive nerve-endings.

“I want to come see you, Nina.”

Her mouth dropped open and she was sure a feather would’ve knocked her over. Then glee zinged through her. Yes! He was coming to see her. What would she wear? No. Wait. Just as quick as joy came over her, reality set in. She couldn’t see him. He would know immediately.

Injecting as much coldness as she could muster, she muttered, “I don’t want to see you.” She punched the red telephone and dropped the device back to the table. It started buzzing.

“He’s not giving up.” She dropped onto the couch behind her.

Tears slid down her cheeks. Then huge snorting sobs took over. Why now? Life was not fair.

Despondent and not sure what to do, she slid to her knees in front of the coffee table. “Dear Lord, lead me and guide me.”

She stayed on her knees for a long time, silent. Her mind emptied and she waited.

The calm she knew was coming washed over her once more. Grateful for God, she stood to her feet and headed back upstairs. So much emotion, and she was drained.

She fell asleep, not waking until the early hours of Monday morning.

Soft light filtered through the drapes at her bedroom window. She turned from her side and rested on her back. The baby moved within her, letting her know she’d skipped supper last night. Guilt settled over her. She couldn’t continue to miss meals. It wasn’t the baby’s fault she was indecisive and immature.

Scooting to the side of the bed, she pushed tired legs over the edge and searched the floor for house shoes with her toes. Slipping into them, she stood up and stretched long, slender arms over her head, groaning with pleasure. Then she remembered and jerked them back to her sides. She wasn’t supposed to raise her arms that high anymore.

She patted her bulging belly. “Sorry, little one.”

As if in answer, the baby flopped over, its body rolling from one side of her belly to the other. She giggled at the twilight zone-esque site. “I certainly hope you’re not an alien,” She said as she rushed down the steps in search of her phone.

Excitement washed through her anew. Had he left a message? The thought caused her heart to turn over and palpitate against her ribs. “I hope he did.”

She grabbed the phone and pulled it up toward her face, only then remembering her glasses were somewhere either on the couch or the floor where they’d landed when she slid helplessly to her knees last night.

Repeating the action, she searched for the elusive and often misplaced item. She laughed when she spotted them. “Aha, I’ve found you, my pretties.”

Her hands shook with half-excitement, half-dread. If he left a message, what had he said?

The little voicemail icon showed at the top of her screen. She smiled so big she felt the corners of her lips cracking. She punched it and put the phone to her ear.
“Hey Nina.” Silence. Clearing of his throat. “Look. I know I should’ve called you before now. To be honest, I don’t know why I haven’t. I know you were upset after…well, after you know what.”

More silence. Compassion filled her at the sound of uneasiness and embarrassment in his tone. He was trying so hard, she could tell.

“But I miss you. I want to see you. I can understand why you’re mad, but it’s not going to stop me. Once I’ve made up my mind to do something, I’m going to do it. I have class in the morning, but I don’t have to work until six-thirty, so I’ll be stopping over. Please answer the door. I think we can work this out, but we have to talk to do so.” More silence. She heard him catch his breath, and then he whispered, “Bye.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment