Monday, December 3, 2012

This is the last chapter in Amy's Escape but tomorrow we begin book two in my series and it's called Jude's Story, hope you enjoy it...

Have a great Monday!!
 


                                      
                                    
 







Chapter Thirty-One ~
 

Scott was so worried he could scarcely breathe. Thankfully the children were being good. Finally, he got a call.

"Hello?” It was a strange number, but he figured it was Jackson on a burn phone.

"Jorgy, it's me, Michelle.”

"Michelle, what’s wrong?" He didn’t want to be rude, but he wanted to make sure nothing interrupted the call he was waiting on.

"I'm out front. Come let me in." There was restrained excitement in her voice, and a shiver of alarm ran up his spine.

"What do you mean you're out front, out front where?"

"I tracked your phone, Jorgy. You don't have to worry. I know who you really are. I love you. I brought Elijah to see you."

Scott quickly moved all three of Jackson's children to the kitchen and went back to the living room. He peaked out the blinds, and sure enough, Shelly stood on the porch with baby Elijah in her arms. He looked around the yard, but didn't see anyone so he walked over and opened the door. He’d let her use one of the oldest tricks in the book to track him. How could he let that happen? He’d put Jackson’s children in danger…

He stepped out and shut the door behind him. If it was a trick, he didn't want to involve Jackson's children. "What are you talking about?" He stuffed his phone in his jeans. He'd already dialed Jackson's number. If there was trouble, he wanted his new friends to know.

"Really... Scotty," She said slowly, using his real name, "I've known you were a cop since day one."

"How would you know that?"

"Where I grew up, you learn to know whose friend and whose foe." She gave a small smile. "Now I didn't come all the way out here to stand on the porch. Elijah probably needs a fresh bottle of milk, if you have it." She gestured toward the door.

"This isn't my house, Michelle. I can't let you in."

"You're kidding me, right?" There were tears in her dark eyes. "I've loved you since the day we met, and you don't even trust me enough to let me in the house." With shoulders slumped, Michelle turned to leave.

"Michelle, come here." He grabbed her, spun her around, and pulled her and his child into a big bear hug.

Elijah squealed, "Daddy!" He put his arms out and Scotty pulled him into his arms.

There were tears in his eyes as he looked at Michelle. "I know I lied to you, Michelle. I disrespected you by sleeping with you without marriage. I'd like to rectify that. Will you marry me?"

"Yes, but it won't be easy. My family will disown me and cause trouble.” She kissed his cheek.

The tender moment was interrupted by the ringing of his phone. He looked at her and said, "I have to take this." He sat down on the porch swing and answered the call. "Hello, Jackson? Is she all right? The virus is contained? That's great. How much of my call did you hear, anyway?"

"I heard almost all of it. I didn't know what was going on, but figured you wanted me to listen in, so I did. Congratulations, by the way." Jackson replied.

"So give me a quick rundown on what happened." Scott pulled Michelle down beside him. Angie came out the door just then with Benji right on her heels. Michelle looked at him questioningly, and he held up his finger to halt her questions for the moment.

"We just dropped Amos off with his family, and left Matilda’s family at the police station. Matilda and Chester are going to be fine. Amy is fine, and she's with us. She's due some much-needed rest. The virus is safely out of the hands of the terrorists and not a threat to the public."

"Did you destroy the virus, or will you turn it in?"

"Otis didn't want me to destroy it, and neither did Jude. We need to do what the authorities want, so I'll be turning it over to the FBI."

"What about your marriage to Amy?" Scott asked hopefully. "We could make it a double wedding."

Jackson stole a glance in Amy's direction. She was bruised and bloodied, but couldn't have been more beautiful. She was a strong woman, but he was a stronger man. He loved her and wanted to marry her, but she wouldn't accept him without her God.

He wouldn't marry her without having the loving hand of God on their relationship. During the whole mess with Colonel Walsh, Jackson had come to know the Lord, and He’d seen him through the whole ordeal that had almost taken the life of the woman he loved. He answered Scotty's question with, "We will marry with 'our' God as our witness.

"Awesome, it's a double wedding!" Scotty yelled happily.

Jackson had turned on the speaker phone for his reply, and when he yelled, Amy's head jerked up.

She looked at Jackson wanly and said, "A double wedding, it is." She reached over and took his hand before falling back on her seat in exhaustion.
                                             ***
Jackson pulled their entwined hands up to his lips and kissed her bruised fingers gently. "I love you Amy Sue Petersen."

"I love you Jackson Masters. I love your kids too." She silently sent a prayer of thanks up to God for all He'd done for her in her life, but especially for sending her a man like Jackson.

"When do I get to be a Grandpa again, then?" Otis asked as he pulled himself up to the back of their seat.

Jude laughed and asked, "When do I get to be an uncle again?"

Everyone laughed in delight as the last few days' horrors slid away in the love and care of an awesome God.
 
                                                                                                                       The End


 

1 comment: